Welcome to Gull Lake Ice Yacht Club!
Iceboat Sailing on Gull Lake, Michigan since 1901
A Centennial Ice Yacht Club
Home of the First DN Gold Cup in 1973
October 3, 2023, 6:30 pm EDT set up; 7:00 pm EDT gavel
NEDS on Gull Lake, 15450 M-43, Hickory Corners, MI 49060
All Are Welcome
Email for more info: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Facebook group will have the most reliable quick sailing notices.
We will try to post notices of intention to sail, by the night before whenever possible.
When conditions are suitable, we have race series and day sailing. We organize our members to travel to away iceboat racing regattas. When Gull Lake ice is not suitable, we may sail at nearby Gun Lake in Wayland, Michigan or Goguac Lake in Battle Creek, Michigan.
We meet the first Tuesday evening of every October through March in the Richland, Michigan area for planning, review and education. We co-host an annual Swap Meet the first Saturday in November in western Michigan where iceboats and equipment are available for sale and educational sessions are conducted. We exhibit at Richland’s Wassailing festival the first Thursday of December, come meet us and see iceboats!
Please send us your email address so we may notify you on a timely basis about our events. We do not share or sell contact information.
We have iceboat sailors who sail recreationally for fun. Some of the boats sailed include the popular DN Iceboat, plus the Melges 80, J14, J20, Sprinter, Renegade, Skeeter, Nite, Skimmer 45, and a few Stern Steerer iceboats.
* When conditions provide for racing on Gull Lake, the Gull Lake Ice Yacht Club has a variety of championships to be sailed for as described in the Bylaws. * The club also coordinates its members for traveling to away iceboat regattas, including the DN Gold Cup (World Championship), DN North American Championship, DN National Championship, DN Central Region Championship, DN Western Region Championship, DN Northeast Region Championship, Renegade Championship, Wisconsin Stern Steerer Association Championship, Northwest Ice Yachting Association Championship for Stern Steerer iceboats, International Skeeter Association Championship, DN European Championship, DN and Ice Optimist Junior World Championships, Nite National Championship, and Lake Baikal Ice Sailing Week-Russia. * From time to time there are special events like the Hardwater Summit in Ft. Peck, Montana, for all types of iceboats that had been planned for March 2022 but conditions became unsuitable.
* Annual Swap Meet - The first Saturday in November there is a Swap Meet held, rotating among the iceboat clubs of the west part of Michigan. At the swap meet there are iceboats, parts, trailers, other equipment for sale, and sometimes runner sharpening service available. There are educational presentations.
* The Seeding of Gull Lake - Usually in November, water from our wonderful Gull Lake is collected, then frozen into blocks, and deployed ceremoniously to hasten the development of sailable ice on Gull Lake.
* Richland Wassailing Festival – The first Thursday in December you will find us in the park on the Square in downtown Richland from 5:30-8:00 pm with iceboats so you may learn about them.
*Iceboats on the Bay - See iceboats set up, sailing and racing if ice conditions allow, food, fellowship, more! Likely a Saturday in February. Check web site for updates.
* Ice on lakes is NEVER fully safe! * Always have a partner. Never go on the ice alone. Always wear ice cleats on your boots or footwear with spikes to prevent falls on the ice. Always wear a helmet when iceboating. Eye protection is necessary. Always wear a set of ice picks around your neck to use to pull yourself out of the water and back onto the ice if you break through the ice. A floatation jacket or foam Personal Flotation Device (not the self-inflating type) is recommended. Dress for the weather and for the high wind chill experienced when iceboating.
Contact us with iceboats and/or equipment to sell.
Richland, United States